What ICT skills will students need for workplaces that involve mathematics and science?
- Data Collection tools
- Communication tools
- NP's e-Competencies Framework: Generic e-Skills and e-Tools [Year 1, Year 2, Year 3 Competencies]
- Learning by Doing: Software Skills, Simulations and Situated Learning
- Learning by Collaborating
- Learning by Researching
- Learning by Reflecting
- Urban Wire (online production by journalism students at NP): http://theurbanwire.com/
- npTribune (journalism students' paper-based publication): http://theurbanwire.com/nptribune
- TechXav (student-run technology blog): http://techxav.com/
Tool for keeping track of research and citation
- zotero (works in Firefox only)
Do we... Apply Math to Real Problems?
Rather, start with real problems and get students to observe, conjecture, measure, analyse, propose - and think mathematically.
- Netlogo - http://ccl.northwestern.edu/netlogo/
Adopt an overall theme, e.g. 20 Global Problems and Twenty years to Solve them
ICT APPLICATIONS / TOOLS... what potential????
- Derivative of a cubic
- Example: Polar Plotter
- Example: Trig Definitions
(ii) Wolfam Alpha
(iii) Exploring Mathematics
- GraphSketch - http://graphsketch.com/
(iv) Communicating Mathematics
(v) Stretching the students